Hello, my fellow fans of Friday. Do you have your Oscars plans all lined up? The bubbles are chilling, and I’m still figuring out which recipes I want to make from Jerusalem (scroll down to read a bookworm blurb here) for my guest who’s coming over to watch them with me.
Yesterday was a fun one for yours truly: tablehopper turned seven! Yeah, that’s a lot of Tuesdays in your inbox, and some Fridays too. Big thanks to one of my superstar readers, who sent me this fab animation—totally made my day. I could watch it again and again. (Getting. Very. Thirsty.) Thanks for all of your support, people! You keep me inspired.
So, in honor of seven years, I thought I’d share seven cool things I learned this week:
- Chef Michele Belotti at Ristobar is making some seriously delicious stuffed pastas. (Have you ever had casoncelli? You should.)
- The raw bar manager at Waterbar, Greg Babinecz, is sourcing and shucking the most amazing (and rare) variety of oysters in the city. Pull up to the bar for some insightful education, beautiful oysters, and clever wine pairings by beverage director Steven Izzo. Oh yeah, and there’s that VIEW.
- If you have any time tonight or tomorrow, try to visit Oliveto for the last days of its Whole Hog Dinners. Stars on chef Jonah Rhodehamel’s full-tilt-boogie menu include 24-month Magruder prosciutto, pancetta-wrapped sardine, lobster boudin blanc, charcoal-grilled Calabrian sausage, and spit-roasted boar leg and loin. Hubba.
- If you’re looking for a charming date spot that’s off the beaten path, try Orexi in West Portal. I’d like to think its housemade taramosalata is the way to a (special) person’s heart.
- Italian winemakers Bruno De Conciliis and Alberto Graci are just finishing up their mega-tour of San Francisco, but you can still swing by Biondivino on Saturday to try their wonderful wines before they head home (6pm-8pm, $10 tasting)!
- Even if the majority of the content was reportedly ripped off from other people on the internet, the spoofed Guy Fieri menu still made me laugh my ass off.
- Starting the week with shakshuka for breakfast/brunch at home is awesome (check out a couple of recipes on my Pinterest board).
Ah yes, brunch. Before we head into the weekend, I thought you’d like a look at my piece for 7x7.com with five suggestions for how to shake up your brunch routine. Nope, no bacon and eggs here (although I do love them so).
Today we have a piece from Alan Goldfarb in “Checking Lists,” featuring Bellanico in Oakland (you can also listen to my “You Gotta Eat This” feature on KGO Radio about Bellanico here), and Heather Irwin styles us with some 707 news.
Thanks for seven years, and cheers!
My “by request” crab roll at Waterbar. Photo: © tablehopper.com.View tablehopper Newsletter from Friday, Feb 22 2013